Effective March 12, 2002, Chapter 63, Section 40-63-240, Code of Laws of the State of South Carolina was revised regarding supervision for LISW licensure. It states, "an applicant for licensure as a Licensed Independent Social Worker CP/AP…must demonstrate to the board the satisfactory completion of three thousand hours of social work practice under clinical/advanced supervision..."
Applicants for LISW licensure must first submit an application for LISW licensure, then complete a supervision contract to be approved by the Board before the initiation of the supervision. The supervisor and supervision must meet the LISW Guidelines as defined below and requirements as stated in Section 40-63-240 of the Code of Laws of the State of South Carolina.
The following requirements are for supervision for LISW Clinical Practice/Advanced Practice licensure:
1. The supervision must consist of face-to-face meetings between the approved clinical/advanced supervisor and the supervisee for a minimum of one hundred (100) hours of direct clinical/advanced supervision equitably distributed.
The S.C. Board of Social Work Examiners (SCBSWE) voted to allow fifty percent (50%) of the supervision time to be group supervision with no more than six (6) supervisees. Those applicants already in a supervision contract wishing to obtain group supervision can amend their contract with an addendum (stating their plan in writing) to the Board.
2. The supervised work experience must take place after licensure as a Masters Social Worker and over a minimum two-year and maximum four-year period within a recognized, organized setting such as social, medical or governmental agencies .
3. The supervision must be documented by a plan for clinical/advanced supervision, filed with the board before beginning the period of supervision.
4. Such supervision must be provided by an individual who has a Master's or Doctorate degree from a Board-approved social work program.
5. The supervisor must have passed the Clinical or Advanced level of the ASWB exam.
6. The supervisor must have a minimum of four thousand five hundred hours of clinical/advanced practice earned over a period of not less than three years beyond receipt of an LISW-CP/LISW-AP.
7. The supervisor must have obtained forty-five academic contact hours or forty-five continuing education contact hours in supervision. (Official documentation required.)
The supervisor is expected to keep notes or other documentation of the supervision that occurs and the issues discussed. At the end of the supervision period, the supervisor will return a completed Report of Supervised Experience form to the Board of Social Work Examiners. The report form will include a performance assessment of the supervisee and a statement as to whether or not licensure is recommended.